3 cups Penne pasta, whole-wheat, dry (12 oz)
1 tsp Granulated garlic
2 cups Fresh broccoli florets
1 cup Cooked diced chicken, ½” pieces (4 oz)
1 ½ cups Fat-free half and half
1 Tbsp Enriched all-purpose flour
1/8 cup Low-sodium chicken broth
1 tsp Salt
½ tsp Ground black pepper
½ cup Reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded (2 oz)
½ cup Low-fat mozzarella cheese, low-moisture, part-skim, shredded (2 oz)
• Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 20 minutes Makes six 1 ½-cup servings 1 ½ cups provides 1 oz equivalent meat/meat alternate, W cup dark green vegetable, and 1 ¾ oz equivalent grains.
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F.
2. In a large pot, bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Gradually stir in pasta and return to a boil. Cook uncovered for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Do not overcook. Drain well. Toss pasta with ½ teaspoon garlic.
3. Fill a medium pot with water and bring to a boil. Add broccoli florets and cook for 5 minutes. Drain well. Sprinkle with remaining garlic.
4. Transfer pasta and broccoli to a medium casserole dish (about 8” x 11”) coated with nonstick cooking spray. Add chicken. Mix well.
5. In a small mixing bowl, mix ½ cup half and half with flour. Whisk to remove lumps.
6. In a medium skillet, heat chicken broth, salt, pepper, and remaining half and half. Stir constantly. Stir in half and half/flour mixture. Stir constantly and bring to a boil.
7. Reduce heat to low. Stir frequently for 5 minutes. Sauce will thicken. Add cheese and stir until cheese melts. Remove from heat. Pour sauce over broccoli/pasta mixture.
8. Cover casserole dish with lid or with foil. Bake at 350 °F for 8 minutes. Heat to an internal temperature of 165 °F or higher for at least 15 seconds (use a food thermometer to check the internal temperature). Remove from oven.